Tuesday 17 March 2015

Charred green vegetables soup



There are times when we all try to avoid talking to our Mums, aren't there? "You look like you need a facial" must be one of those times. On her relentless quest to make me look half charming and somewhat presentable (see, also), my Mum then spent the next hour extolling the pleasure, the effectiveness and the importance of a good facial, and that I should wait not another minute to book myself on a full 3 month facial programme. Even as I am grown rather accustomed to the onslaught of self improvement suggestions and persuasive arguments that flow freely my way, "looking older than your age" still manages a hurtful stab in the heart region.

It did not all end badly as my Mum did say I should also do a fruit and veg detox for a week or so, in tandem with the barrage of facials and massages one simply must have. I wasted no time in telling her of my latest invention, a broccoli, spinach and quinoa soup. Born out of laziness and therefore necessity, and rather convenient timing in my defense against above assault, it was surprisingly scrumptious and I felt detoxed just by looking at it. As it is full of dark leafy green goodness, and surprisingly easy to make, I did have it back to back for 3 days. I do not agree that I am obsessive, rather, cooking broccoli does leave a pungent-ness in the flat, so best to make a large batch and freeze until needed.


To serve 3-4 as a starter:
1 head of broccoli (cut into pieces)
1/2 packet frozen spinach
1 onion (sliced)
1 clove garlic diced
50gms quinoa
700ml Chicken / Bone broth
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
Dried chilli flakes
Salt and Pepper

Dry fry broccoli, onions, quinoa and chili flakes on high heat for 10 minutes. This should char the broccoli and onions. Dry frying chili flakes made the Italian half have a sneezing fit so if you are prone to that, add the chili flakes in last, together with the garlic. Add in garlic, sea salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. Add in broth and bring back up to boil before adding in frozen spinach. Leave to simmer for 30 minutes on low heat and then blend with a hand held blender (off the heat) until desired consistency. Taste and adjust.

Serve hot with a sprinkle of dried chillies flakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment