Thursday 11 December 2014

Egg yolk confit



I just could not resist confit-ing egg yolks as it seems all the rage at the moment, being almost as on trend (seen it a few times on MasterChef) as sous vide (did you know even Whole Foods would prepare you turkey crown sous vide for Christmas? Safe safe safe option). Larousse is rather mum about confit egg yolk and I resorted to google research. Most recipes required the yolks to be cooked at 55-60 degrees in the oven for 50 minutes. As I was making one or two yolks, I didn't want to waste oven time so I finally found a recipe to cook it over the stove, low and slow with constant stirring for 15 minutes. I presume constant stirring would be required to ensure the whole yolk is cooked evenly from all sides rather than just bottom up and also so the egg does not stick to the pan.

Going by looks alone I would say that separating the yolk from the white would require the "cradling in your hand" technique as that ensures less white is stuck to the yolk. Taste wise, unfortunately I cannot tell as eggs are off my menu... But an unsuspecting guinea pig is coming for lunch this Saturday and my yolk confit will then be put to test.. I'll report back if all goes well. 



No comments:

Post a Comment